India's first 12,000 horsepower electric locomotive was flagged-off by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 10 April 2018.
Madhepura Locomotive Factory
India’s first 12,000 horsepower electric locomotive has been developed at Madhepura's Electric Locomotive Factory (Bihar). It is the first big Make-in-India project completed by Alstom of France. It is a double section locomotive each having a hauling capacity of 6,000 tonnes.
Top Questions from 2018 Commonwealth Games
Questions pertaining to Basic Facts
- Which country hosted the 2018 Commonwealth Games (officially known as the XXI Commonwealth Games)? – Australia
- Which city of Australia was the host city of the 2018 Commonwealth Games? – Gold Coast (Queensland)
- With completion of 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia has now hosted these Games how many times? – Fifth time (Sydney (1938), Perth (1962), Brisbane (1982), Melbourne (2006) and Gold Coast (2018))
- 2018 Commonwealth Games was which edition of these Games? – 21st
- What was the motto of 2018 Commonwealth Games? – “Share the Dream”
- What was the official mascot of the 2018 Commonwealth Games? – Borobi (Borobi, the mascot of 2018 Commonwealth Games, is a male Koala with blue fur and unusual markings on his paws. It is based on a character submitted by Merrilyn Krohn)
- What was an important landmark fact associated with the 2018 Commonwealth Games? - It was the first time a major multi-sport event achieved gender equality by having an equal number of events for males and females
- Which was the main stadium for the 2018 Commonwealth Games? – Carrara Stadium (Gold Coast)
- How many countries participated in 2018 Commonwealth Games? – 71
- Which African country made its return to Commonwealth Games through this edition of the Games? – Gambia (It was readmitted as a Commonwealth Games Federation member on 31 March 2018)
- Which Asian country didn’t participate in these Games as it had withdrawn as a member of the Commonwealth? – Maldives (It was scheduled to participate in these Games, but didn’t participate as in October 2016 it withdrew from the Commonwealth)
Top Questions associated with performance
- Which country topped the medals tally of 2018 Commonwealth Games? – Australia (It won total 198 medals including 80 gold medals, 59 silvers and 59 bronze medals. It was followed by England, India, Canada and New Zealand in top 5 countries list)
- What is India’s position in the medals tally? – 3rd (It won total 66 medals including 26 gold, 20 silver and 20 bronze medals)
- In total how many countries won medals in these Games? – 43 countries (The medals shared between 43 countries beat the previous best of 39 which was set at Manchester 2002 and equalled at Melbourne 2006)
- How many countries won Gold medals/medal in the 2018 Commonwealth Games? – 29 countries
- Who won the first Gold medal of the 2018 Commonwealth Games? - Flora Duffy of Bermuda (She won Gold medal in Women’s Triathlon event. She also claim Bermuda’s first ever women’s gold medal)
- Who was the fastest male athlete of 2018 Commonwealth Games? - Akani Simbine (South Africa) – He won the gold medal of men’s 100m sprint in a time of 10:03 seconds
- What is an important fact associated with Akani Simbine’s 100m title win? – It marked the first time in 20 years that an athlete from a Caribbean country has not held the title of the Commonwealth's fastest man
- Who was the fastest female athlete of 2018 Commonwealth Games? - Michelle-Lee Ahye (Trinidad and Tobago) – With her win, she became the first woman from Trinidad and Tobago to win 100m Commonwealth Games gold and the nation's first gold medallist since Ato Bolden won the men's 100m race in 1998
- Who won the highest 5 gold medal in the 2018 Commonwealth Games? - Mitchell James Larkin (Australia) – Larkin is an Australian swimmer who won 5 gold medals in the Games. He won gold medals in men's backstroke 50m, 100m and 200m, Men's 200m Individual Medley and Men's 4 x 100m Medley.
- Which three players won the highest individual medals in 2018 the 2018 Commonwealth Games? - Emma McKeon (Australia), Nile Wilson and Diamanto Evirpidou (Cyprus) - All these players won four gold, a silver and a bronze medal. While McKeon won these medals in swimming, Wilson and Evirpidou won in gymnastics.
- Who was recognised as the outstanding athlete of the 2018 Commonwealth Games and was awarded the David Dixon Award? - David Liti (New Zealand) – Liti a weightlifer from New Zealand, had lifted a total 403kg in the men's 105kg division while breaking a Commonwealth Games record in the clean and jerk, lifting 229kg, to take home gold)
Complete Medals Tally – 2018 Commonwealth Games
Position Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 Australia 80 59 59 198
2 England 45 45 46 136
3 India 26 20 20 66
4 Canada 15 40 27 82
5 New Zealand 15 16 15 46
Indian woman boxer M.C. Mary Kom struck her record 6th gold medal at the World Boxing Championships in New Delhi on 24 November 2018 to become the most successful woman boxer of all time. Now she is tied with which legendary Cuban boxer for the distinction of joint most successful boxer (Men and Women) in the history of World Championships? - Felix Savon
On 14 November 2018 India's heaviest rocket GSLV Mark – III successfully placed the sophisticated communications satellite GSAT-29 in the orbit. What was the total weight of this rocket? - 641 tons
Explanation: India's heaviest rocket, referred to as "Baahubali", successfully placed the sophisticated communications satellite GSAT-29 in the orbit on 14 November 2018. India space agency ISRO's Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mark III (GSLV Mk-III-D2), on its second developmental flight, lifted off from Sriharikota, India's rocket port in Andhra Pradesh on the coast of the Bay of Bengal.
Stan Lee, the inspiration behind superhero characters such as Spider-Man, Iron Man and the Hulk, passed away on 12 November 2018 in New York. He was associated with which comic book brand? – Marvel
As a writer and editor, Stan Lee, in collaboration with artists such as Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, was key to the ascension of Marvel into a comic book titan in the 1960s. They created super successful superheroes like Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Black Panther, Daredevil, Doctor Strange, and Ant-Man.
It was disclosed in media reports of November 2018 that a major global card payment entity had complained that Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was using nationalism to promote the use of a domestic payments network RuPay. Which entity is this? – MasterCard
During November 2018 it was disclosed that American multinational financial services corporation MasterCard, which operates global card payment services to process payments between the banks of merchants and the card issuing banks, had in June 2018 complained that Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was using nationalism to promote the use of a domestic payments network RuPay.